TALK TO THE DADDY

Hello. Come on in. The daddy writes about current events, literature, music and, once in a while, drops something on you from back in the day to make you pause and ponder, stop and stare, and begin to wonder. Who knows? You may start to pace the floor, shake your head from side to side, then fall down on bended knees in a praying position and cry, "Lawd, have mercy! What is this world coming to?" Check yourself! But this blog is NOT about the daddy. It's about you: your boos, your fam, your hood, your country...our hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow. So let's make a pact: the daddy will put it on the track if you'll chase it down and hit him back. Together, we can definitely take it to another level. Shall we?"

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Troy Davis Case: What Happens Now?


Democracy
by Langston Hughes
Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.
Today, the daddy is feeling this small but important piece from Chigozie. It provides the clearest explanation of what happens now with the Troy Davis case:

"The US Supreme Court has issued a stay on the lynching of Troy Davis. This simply means that the execution will be postponed until the US Supreme Court decides whether to hear the case. In the event the US Supreme Court decides not to hear the case, the State of Georgia can proceed with the execution. This is a small victory, but there is no guarantee that the Supreme Court will ultimately decide to hear this case, as it hears very few cases that petition to be heard. It should be noted that even if the brother is ultimately released from prison, which may be several years from now considering the process, the rehabilitation process from spending nearly two decades on death row will prove difficult."

To read the full story, check out The Liberator Blog.

Thanks, Achali.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that this is a small triumph in an uphill race....What can we do....What small steps can we take to keep hte momentum....I know Troy has Jimmy Carter and the Pope with him....what can we 'little people' do on a consisten basis?

MountainLaurel said...

I heard the news with joy. I keep praying that the Lord will hear and cause justice to be done. I wish I could think of something else that I could do.

enigma4ever said...

thank you for posting on this...and for the Langston Hughes....

I too am praying and hoping that justice will prevail finally in this case- and yes..I have written letters on it to....but you are right to blog it...

you have a wonderful blog...can I add you to Watergate Summer blogroll....