TALK TO THE DADDY

Hello. Come on in. The daddy writes about current events, literature, music and, once in a while, drops something on you from back in the day to make you pause and ponder, stop and stare, and begin to wonder. Who knows? You may start to pace the floor, shake your head from side to side, then fall down on bended knees in a praying position and cry, "Lawd, have mercy! What is this world coming to?" Check yourself! But this blog is NOT about the daddy. It's about you: your boos, your fam, your hood, your country...our hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow. So let's make a pact: the daddy will put it on the track if you'll chase it down and hit him back. Together, we can definitely take it to another level. Shall we?"

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Honest Scrap Award

Today, the daddy is smiling. Why? Because he has received another one, The
the Honest Scrap Award. This award is about bloggers who post from their heart,
who oftentimes put their heart on display as they write from the depths of their soul. I am honored to be viewed as one of those writers by Revvy Reb, who graciously and generously passed on this award to me. Revvy Reb, I thank you.

There are some simple rules to accept this award:
1. List 10 honest things about yourself, hopefully interesting.
2. Pass the award on to 7 bloggers.

10 Honest things about me.

1. Like my father, I feel a need to serve community, especially African American communities.
2.I love being with people but not too long. Sometimes I can't wait to go to a small family cafe with good coffee or the local bar with good beer to think and write.

3.I have not fully recovered from working for years with youth(especially gangbangers, male perpetrators and abused women. Watching several dead kids I knew lying in the street broke my heart. So did taking women who had been beaten up by their boyfriends or husbands to an emergency hospital. I can still see those battered faces behind bloody towels.

4. I believe in a creator, but I'm very suspicious of religion and churches.

5. Sometimes, I give mixed messages to my friends. When they talk, I nod my head to let them know I understand. But they sometimes take it to mean that I agree with them. Sometimes it causes confusion.

6. I am obsessed with my privacy.

7. With the help of friends, I got one of my three books published. But I fear the other two never will be.

8. Despite being a positive guy, I occasionally get sad when I think about
the losses in my life.

9. I have embarrassed my self in the worse way. I worked with a group of southeast Asian gangs. When the group was done, their families and elders held a big celebration in my honor. They blocked off the street and cooked a pig whole with the head on it right in the middle of the street. And they kept bringing me food that smelled of pork. I hadn't eaten pork in about 20 years. Finally, I threw up in a plate of food a women brought to me. Time to leave that celebration!

10. I believe in love, but I don't think it believes in me.

I check out lots of blogs, but here are several that I enjoy precisely because they write so well and with honesty.

1. CurvyGurl Chronicles--http://www.curvygurlchronicles.com/
2. Ephphata--http://ephphatha3.blogspot.com/
2. From the Left--http://fromtheleft.wordpress.com/
3. Keep It Trill--http://keepittrill.blogspot.com/
4. Sagacious Hillbilly--http://sagacioushillbilly.blogspot.com/
6. The Enclave--http://enclave-lion.blogspot.com/
7. Thermophylahillbilly--http://wwwwendolbloggercom.blogspot.com/

The daddy apologies for not selecting of the more established, well-now blogs. He is a little biased to the newer ones at this point. Nonetheless, these 7 blogs stack up well with the best of them. What they do so well is speak from the heart. If you haven't already, please check them out.

Thanks, Revvy Rev.

15 comments:

rainywalker said...

Congratulations on the award, you speak with spirit and from the heart. I look forward to your site and the truth I get there. Putting your signature on honesty for the world to see is hard for some individuals. None of us have to agree, just leave knowing we have gained knowledge. I put this on my site yesterday. "Everything is only a metaphor. There is only poetry." Norman O. Brown from Love's Body.

rainywalker said...

daddyBstrong,
I apologize. Thank you for passing the award on to all of us. rainywalker

Revvy Rev said...

You deserve it. You have inspired me. I admire your entire body of work from the service to the community to the writings on your blog. You seem like a brother to me. Keep on Keeping on!

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Daddy, You write as honestly and from the heart as anyone out here. Also, your writing is top notch.
Congrats on the award from Rev.
Thank you for including me in your list of awardees. I am truly humbled by being included. I will try and participate in this one.

Solo said...

Congrats, and some very interesting things you have mentioned here.

Christopher said...

Congrats on the award and thanks for the kind shout out!

Very cool!

Hagar's Daughter said...

Mac,
You threw up in the plate of food, in front of everybody - OMG! I have to say that is embarrassing.

I would imagine that it would have been easier to say that you don't eat pork. Did you lose any cool points? - LOL
_____________
I am usually a lurker here, but I do enjoy your work. I'm inspired by it.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

HD: No, the elders seemed concerned about health.I hate to say this because ministers and nuns come on this blog. But I lied. I told them I was sick before I came. I didn't want them to think that it came from the food, because they had taken so much time to prepare it for me.

I didn't lose any cool points with the young people. They laughed and said "I ate so much I threw up." Sometimes, kids love to see adults in authority make fools of themselves. It humanizes those adults in their eyes. It says that adults like teachers can make mistakes too. They helped load the food in my car and thanked me for helping them. But as soon as I got on the road, I let the window down. I think every bag had pork in it.

Sagacious:Thanks. It's the reason I write. And congrats to you. I've been reading your elegant rants and ravings some time. And I like it. It's straight from the heart.

Rainywalker: Your writing is. And it's very good. I really love your poetry. And congrats to you!

Rev: Thank you for such kind words. And I promise to continue to write as honestly as possible.
And I'll be checking you out at Certain Sound.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

Christopher: Your blog is very informative; and i've noticed that, like me, you've gathered some faithful readers who keep coming back. Reading your post and the comments helps me understand another perspective. Thanks.

Lenoxave said...

Congratulations! I seem to be saying that alot, but you so deserve all the kudos you receive.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

Congratulations on this award!

It is wonderful to recognize the newer blogs! I believe that this allows the talent you discover to be widely known!

You know I have been a reader here since this blog started and I could go on and on about how you give me fever...{sigh}

Your books can be published by P.O.D. outlets since they charge $2,000 per book and market it on the internet. Many authors are going this route rather than using the traditional publishers.

I too have some mixed feelings about churches...especially those that tout Christianity as a religion!

Christianity is not a religion. It is a faith. I will never be religious. I say that as a minister!

I applaud you for your remarkable work.


Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award. And the heart to heart with your audience . . . wow. I'm not good at that. Probably why I've been working all weekend on a manuscript . . .

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Mac, Congrats on your award, it's well-deserved.

Your ten honest things were very interesting and insightful. I could well relate to them. In particular, privacy, enjoying people but needing alone time, the burnout from working with gangs, believing in God but suspicion of religion and churches, and the last one, which for me, by the time I was mature enough for it, it was gone and hasn't returned. It gets me sad and lonely at times, but I thank the good Lord that made room in my heart for two kids who needed a loving home, and soon realized I needed them just as much.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

Kit and Lisa:

Thanks for understanding.