TALK TO THE DADDY

Hello. Come on in. The daddy writes about current events, literature, music and, once in a while, drops something on you from back in the day to make you pause and ponder, stop and stare, and begin to wonder. Who knows? You may start to pace the floor, shake your head from side to side, then fall down on bended knees in a praying position and cry, "Lawd, have mercy! What is this world coming to?" Check yourself! But this blog is NOT about the daddy. It's about you: your boos, your fam, your hood, your country...our hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow. So let's make a pact: the daddy will put it on the track if you'll chase it down and hit him back. Together, we can definitely take it to another level. Shall we?"

Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Welcome, President Obama...Ghana Adores You!"

Listen up. The Prez just finished a trip to Ghana, where he made a speech to the Parliament in Accra. As U.S. president and an African son, The Prez beamed with pride as he met Ghanaians. He also challenged them to shed corruption and conflict and fight for peace. Then, playing off his favorite presidential campaign slogan, he said, "Yes you can."

"I say this" he continued, "knowing full well the tragic past that has sometimes haunted this part of the world. I have the blood of Africa within me."

Then he and his family toured Cape Coast Castle, a slave fortress which held shackled Africans in filthy dungeons to be shipped off into slavery. Later, The Prez said:

"As painful as it is, I think that it helps to teach all of us that we have to do what we can to fight against the kinds of evils that sadly still exist in our world, not just on this continent but in every corner of the globe...There's a special sense that, on the one hand, this place was a place of profound sadness. On the other hand, it is here where the journey of much of the African-American experience began."

The Prez said he hoped the tour would show his daughters how history can take a cruel turn but, on the other hand, how African Americans and others fought slavery and won.

The people of Ghana seemed to love The Prez. Billboards along the motorcade route said, "Ghana Adores You!" and "Welcome President Obama." One especially ecstatic Ghanaian, a taxi driver, said, "I am proud to be a Ghanaian today because President Obama has made us proud." Another Ghanaian, Juliana Owusu, said, "I am wearing my Obama T-shirt to show how proud I am to be living in a country that President Obama has chosen to visit. I feel like I am a sister to him. "

4 comments:

Nun in the Hood said...

Dear MacDaddy,
I am SO proud that our president and his family are beginning to build a HEALTHY infrastructure of positive and life-giving relationships with the world community.....(CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!!)
Also, I believe that a bit of healing happened when he and his family visited the slave dungeons.....
When at church today I visited with our African drummer, and he said that the gowns the Ghanian women wore for the visit with Obabma's picture were HAND WOVEN likenesses....This is only done for high dignitaries...And I LOVE that they call him His Excellency'!!!!

Mike said...

Haven't checked yet, but I'll bet Fox News has found something in the Ghana visit that 'proves' Obama hates America.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

Stimpson: I'll bet you're right. I'm sure Hannity has something negative to say.

"I believe that a bit of healing happened when he and his family visited the slave dungeons...."
Nun: I think you're right. I'd like to go there. I believe I'd be able to still feel the spirit of my ancestors from long ago. Thanks.

Vigilante said...

Stimpson, I encountered something the other day that would make you vomit. I didn't clip the link because it made me want to puke. I just had to move on.

I was going to post on how proud I was of my President and my First Lady on my blog. And then I thought,

"No, that sentiment is going to be posted everywhere."

I was wrong.